You can take the following steps to reduce your risk for a heart attack:
- Prevent or control high blood cholesterol.
- Prevent or control high blood pressure.
- Prevent or control diabetes.
- Do not smoke.
- Moderate alcohol use.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Do regular physical activity.
- Eat a nutritious diet.
Also, you can take steps to help protect your health from air pollution:
- Know your sensitivity to air pollution.
- Know when air pollution may be bad in your area.
- Plan activities when and where pollution levels are lower, using the Air Quality Index to guide planning.
- Change your activity level if air pollution is high.
- Listen to your body.
- Consult your health care provider.
- Have your medication with you.
This symbol means you are leaving the CDC.gov Web site. For more information, please see CDC's Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.
Copyrighted images: Images on this website which are copyrighted were used with permission of the copyright holder and are not in the public domain. CDC has licensed these images for use in the materials provided on this website, and the materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of copyrighted images requires permission from the copyright holder.